Spicy Meatball Sandwiches with Pineapple Habanero Jelly
Today is Labor Day, so what could be better than a delicious, simple meal that doesn’t require much labor at all? In fact, this sandwich filler is even better the NEXT day!
- 1 1/4 cups habanero salsa
- 1/4 cup tomato sauce
- 3/4 cup Texas Pepper Jelly Pineapple Habanero
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 1 pound ground beef
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs – white or whole wheat or mixed together
- Whatever kind of bread your family likes their sandwiches made with
What to do:
In a medium bowl, mix together the salsa, half of the tomato sauce, the pepper jelly, and the spices.
In a large bowl, mix together the beef, eggs, bread crumbs, the rest of the tomato sauce, and onion.
Form the meat mixture into 1-inch meatballs, and line a large casserole dish with them. Bake in 350° F oven for about twenty minutes. Remove dish from oven and pour salsa mixture over the meatballs. Return the dish to the oven for about fifteen more minutes, or when meatballs are thoroughly done.
Remove from oven and let the pan “sit” for another fifteen minutes or so.
Put the meatball mixture on your bread or rolls, add a helping of Pineapple Habanero Potato Salad and some corn on the cob, and you’ve got a perfect Labor Day meal!