1 cup oats (not quick oats!)
1/4 cup pecans or walnuts (optional)
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
3/4 teaspoon cinnamon
pinch of salt – don’t leave it out!
1/4 cup maple syrup (sugar-free works fine, too)
1 cup milk (skim or regular)
1 large beaten egg
1 tablespoons butter, melted
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup Texas Pepper Jelly’s Berry Medley
1 cup blueberries (I use fresh, but frozen will be fine, too)
What to do:
1. Preheat your oven to 375.
2. Lightly spray a 2-quart baking dish with butter-flavored oil.
3. In a large bowl, mix the oats, half of the nuts, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt, and stir well.
3. In a liquid measuring cup, combine the syrup, milk, egg, butter, and vanilla.
4. Spread the Berry Medley over the bottom of the baking dish. On top of that, sprinkle half of the berries. Sprinkle the dry mixture over the fruit, and pour the liquid ingredients evenly over the oats.
5. Sprinkle the remaining nuts and berries over the top.
6. Bake at 375 for 35-40 minutes. Check with your finger to see if the oats have “set.” Let it cool for 15 minutes or so before serving; if you try to slice it while it’s still really hot, it will be too runny.
As is always the case with a Texas Pepper Jelly recipe, don’t count on any leftovers.