Spicy Sausage Stuffing for Thanksgiving and Christmas Dinner
Turkey isn’t just for Thanksgiving, you know. Turkey is awesome as the main part of your Christmas dinner, as well.
However, even though you might bake/roast your turkey in much the same way for either holiday meal, the dressing can turn a turkey into a distinctively Christmas entree.
- 1 pound bulk sausage, cooked
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onions, sauteed
- 1 cup Texas Pepper Jelly (use your family’s favorite flavor!)
- 1 cup diced celery, sauteed
- 1/2 cup applesauce
- 1/2 cup melted butter
- 9 cups bread cubes (we mix white and wheat)
- 3 tsp. poultry seasoning or sage
- 1/4 cup chicken broth (you can find it with or without the MSG!)
- dash salt and pepper
What to do:
In a large bowl, combine all ingredients and mix thoroughly. Stuff your turkey if you wish, but we do not recommend it. (It’s really greasy and often not thoroughly “done”) we prefer to put the stuffing mixture in a pretty baking dish (buttered) and bake it separately from the turkey.
The stuffing should be baked in a 350° F oven for about an hour.
P.S. This is a really versatile recipe. You can leave out the sausage, or add pretty much whatever your family likes: apples, cherries, oysters. . . whatever. This stuffing recipe is a definite success and a genuine keeper.
It can also be great to add chopped fruit to match whatever Texas Pepper Jelly flavor you chose to use.