Guess what we had for dinner last night – Candy Pie! When we told everyone we were having Candy Pie, their eyes got big.
After they ate it they were very pleased and asked for more.
- 1 deep-dish pie crust (make sure you have enough for a really deep pie! Actually, we used a cake pan.)
- 4 large tomatoes, peeled & sliced
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh basil
- 3 onions, thinly sliced
- 1/2 pound bacon, cooked, drained, and chopped (mmm, bacon!)
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese (we used a mixture of cheeses that were left over in the fridge.)
- 1/3 cup of your favorite Texas Rib Candy flavor
What to do:
Preheat your oven to 375° F.
In alternating layers, start filling your pastry shell with tomatoes, basil, onions, bacon, garlic powder, and oregano. Set aside.
In a medium bowl, mix the cheese and Rib Candy, Spread this mixture over the top of the pie and cover with aluminum foil – loosely.
Bake in your preheated 375° F oven for a half hour, then remove the foil and bake an additional half hour.
Candy Pie is delicious warm or cold. When it’s cold – a few hours after dinner, for example, we scooped it up with all kinds of crackers. You can add a little sour cream if you want to make it a little more delicious. We all poured a little extra Rib Candy over our individual pieces, more because we all just like the stuff rather than for any logical purpose.
Candy Pie. It’s not what you think – it’s even better.