Best Pork and Apple Stew Recipe You'll Find
You can make this wonderful stew on your stovetop, or in your crockpot!
Spicy Pork and Apple Stew
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 pound lean pork stew meat (trim off as much fat as you can) (Any kind of pork will work; just cut it into stew-size pieces. You can pork chops, pork roast, and rib meat.)
- 1 large onion, cut into thick slices
- 2 cloves garlic, or 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 28-ounce can of crushed tomatoes (Do not drain them.)
- 1 small can of tomato paste
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup Apple Habanero Pepper Jelly
- 2 large red or white potatoes, cut into 1-inch pieces (about three cups) (You can leave the peel on if you want)
- 1 cup baby carrots, or carrot coins
- 1 large Granny Smith apple, cut into cubes (You can leave the peel on)
- Parsley for garnish
What to do:
Heat the olive oil in a Dutch oven or large skillet, depending on whether you’re going to use your stovetop or your crockpot. If you’re going to dump everything in your crockpot, just use a skillet here.
Brown the meat, and add the onion and garlic or garlic powder. Cover and cook for about five minutes.
Stir in the tomatoes, tomato paste, broth, and pepper jelly. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 30 minutes. (Skip the “simmering” step if you’re going to be putting the stew in your crockpot.)
Add the potatoes, carrots, and apples. Bring to a boil, and then reduce heat. If you’re going to finish off the stew on your stovetop, cover the Dutch oven and simmer for approximately 45 minutes to an hour, or until meat and vegetables are tender. If you’re going to use your crockpot, dump everything in there, turn it on “low,” and go on to work. Your dinner will be ready when you get back home.
Serve in soup bowls. Garlic bread is good with this stew. Sprinkle with the parsley, if you want parsley. Some kids like to sprinkle shredded cheese on top.
This is a wonderful rainy-night supper! The Apple Habanero Pepper Jelly absolutely MAKES this stew!!!!