Strawberry Habanero Cake! A Superbowl Specialty!
It’s still winter, of course, but it won’t be all that long until spring, and with the spring comes the strawberries!
Our Strawberry Habanero cake can turn any simple dinner dessert into a real party!
Take it to your Superbowl party and you’ll be the star among the field of armchair quarterbacks. And did we mention that it’s unbelievably delicious?!
Is this the best strawberry cake recipe?
We don’t use the word “best” lightly, because best when it comes to food “best” is subjective. It is best based on who is eating it. We are sure there is a classic strawberry cake recipe better than ours.
With that said, what we will say is ours is the best Strawberry Habanero Cake recipe since we haven’t been able to find another one anywhere!
We were going to call this recipe Strawberry Jelly cake, and even kicked around Strawberry Jam cake, but we realized it is just a good cake with our habanero jelly. So we simply named it what it is.
Can you use a strawberry cake mix for this recipe?
Yes! That’s exactly what we are about to do.
You can, of course, make the cake completely from scratch, but like many of our recipes, our version is a lot easier!
- 1 strawberry cake mix
- 2 eggs
- 1/8 cup oil
- 1/4 cup Strawberry Habanero Pepper Jelly
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup chopped strawberries
- 1 can strawberry icing, or make your own
- 1 cup whole strawberries
What to do:
In a large mixing bowl, combine all ingredients except the sliced strawberries and icing, and mix well. Pour into two buttered layer cake pans, and bake for approximately 32 minutes. When your toothpick comes out clean, your cake is done.
Let the cakes cool. Turn one layer upside-down onto a plate and frost thickly. Turn the other layer right-side-up on top of the first layer, and frost completely. Cover frosting with whole strawberries.
A favorite thing to do in the pastry chef world is to mix flavoring into the icing. In this recipe, you could mix a couple of tablespoons of Strawberry Habanero Pepper Jelly in the icing before you start frosting the cake. Your call.
Let the cake chill in the refrigerator for an hour or two before serving it. It’s great with our no-cook strawberry ice cream!
Strawberry Habanero Cake is a perfect Superbowl Party food!
Strawberry Habanero Cake
- (2) 8" or 9" round cake pans
- Large mixing bowl
- Measuring cups
- Small mixing bowl
- Silicone spatula
- Toothpick or cake tester
- Cake plate or cake stand
- Cutting board
- Paring knife
- Cooking rack
- Cake knife
- Heat oven to 350°F for shiny metal or glass pan or 325°F for a dark or nonstick pan.
- Grease the bottom and sides of both round pans with butter. (If you decide to use a 13"x9" pan just grease the bottom.)
- In a large mixing bowl, combine all ingredients except the whole strawberries, 2 tbsp of pepper jelly, and icing, and mix well.
- Pour into the two buttered layer cake pans, and bake for approximately 32 minutes.
- When your toothpick comes out clean, your cake is done.
- Let the cakes cool in the pans. Doing this on a raised cooling rack is best.
- Mix in the 2 tbsp of Texas Pepper Jelly Strawberry Habanero jelly into the pre-made icing or in your own homemade.
- Turn one layer of the cooled cake upside-down onto a plate and frost thickly with your cake knife. Turn the other layer right-side-up (so that the round part of the cake is facing up) on top of the first layer, and frost completely.
- Decorate the top of the cake by placing the whole strawberries.